Château Pontet-Teyssier banner

Château Pontet-Teyssier


The epitome of finesse and elegance in each wine produced

Our first wine featured in this International Wine Club shipment, Château Pontet-Teyssier is steeped in the grand traditions of Bordeaux. It carries a Saint-Émilion Grand Cru designation, one of the highest in the entire commune of more than 2,500 wineries. Saint-Émilion is the only commune in Bordeaux that continually classifies itself, insuring absolute quality and controls.

Château Pontet-Teyssier is actually about 3 hectares (about 8 1/2 acres) and produces between 1,250 -1,500 cases annually, depending upon the yield differences of each vintage.

Martine and Julian Palau purchased Château Pontet-Teyssier in 1976 along with a larger property called Château Laroche on the opposite side of the Garonne River. Madame Palau immediately set out to upgrade both the properties and vineyards. Today, the combined châteaux has more than doubled to 48 hectares, with more than 31 under vine, making it a rather sizeable estate for the area.

Château Pontet-Teyssier contains about 80% Merlot with the remaining 20% comprised of Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc, a normal blending for Saint-Émilion estates. The wine is considered very fruity and subtle with a distinctive red ruby color. It is the epitome of finesse and elegance, a fitting start to our International Wine Club selection.

French Wine Terminology

Picture of French Wine Terminology

Appellation Control - (Ah-pell-ah-syon Kon-troll-ay) French Wine Law, similar to AVA in California, defines geographical region.

Beaujolais - (Bo-zho-lay) Beaujolais region: light short-lived fruity red wine.

Beaujolais Nouveau - (Bo-zho-lay New-vo) Light, fruity red wine released for drinking November to through February.

Blanc de Blancs - (Blawn duh Blawn) White wine produced exclusively from white grapes.

Blanc de Noirs - (Blawn duh Nwar) A white wine made from Pinot Noir grapes.

Brut - (Brute) French term for “natural” or “unrefined,” designate the driest wines. Drier than extra-dry.

Cave - (Cahv) French for cellar.

Chablis - (Shab-lee) Delineated growing area in Burgundy, producing excellent white wines from Chardonnay grapes.

Champagne - (Sham-pain): A classified area in France that makes the world's finest sparkling wine. Others around the world have copied this name but not the area’s quality.

Château - (Shat-toe): French for “castle”, a wine estate associated with a vineyard.

Clos - (Cloh) “Place of”.

Côte(s) - (Coat) Refers to better, more superior hillside vineyards.

Cru - (Crew) French for “growth”, as in “first growth; a specific vineyard classified according to its quality.

Cuvée - (Kew-vay) “blend.” Or quantity of wine produced in a “cuve” or vat.

Domaine - (Doe-main) French wine estate.

Grand Cru - (Grand Crew) Specific vineyard class qualification.

Imperiale - (Em-pay-ree-ahl) Bordeaux bottle holding 81/2 normal bottles.

Mise en bouteilles au Château - Bottled at the château or estate.

Mason Fondee en 1784 - House established in 1784.

Négociant - Buys grapes and bottles wine.

Sec - (Seck) Literally means dry, though with champagne it means medium-sweet.

Terroir - (tear-roar) Geological and climactic conditions of the vineyard.

Tête de Cuvée - (Tet duh Kew-vay) French for “great growth” term used to describes the best wines of an appellation.

Vigneron - Wine grower.