Viennese Roast Pork with Fried PotatoesA featured Wine Club recipe for Blaues Haus.
A traditional Austrian roast pork with fried potatoes. Enjoy the unique flavor combination of the pork and potatoes drizzled with a juniper berry, garlic and herbs sauce. Serve this with a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon.Yield: 4 - 6
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 190 Minutes
• 1 Pork Tenderloin (4 lbs)
• 8 Shallots, halved
• 16 Potatoes, medium sized
• 1 cup vegetable stock (or water)
• 24 Garlic cloves, crushed
• 8 Carrots, halved lengthwise
• 3 Tablespoons Mineral Salt
• 2 Garlic cloves, blanched
• 2 Tablespoons Pepper, coarsely ground
• 3-4 Tablespoons Caraway seeds, whole
• 1/2 Lemon with grated rind
• 4 Juniper Berries
• 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
Using a mortar, mash all ingredients for the paste and rub well into the meat. Place the meat in a cast iron oven dish and add the shallots and garlic. Roast in the oven at 430 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes. Turn regularly.
Lightly blanche the carrots and potatoes, rinse in cold water and add to the roast. After about 20 minutes, pour in 400 mL vegetable stock and roast for another 40 minutes. Keep basting with juices from the dish. (If there's not enough liquid, add more stock).
As soon as the carrots, potatoes and garlic are soft, take them out of the oven and cover with foil. After about 90 minutes, the meat should be done. Remove from oven and cover with foil for 20 minutes.
In a pan, toss the vegetables in a little roasting juice. Arrange the meat on a serving plate with the potatoes and vegetables, and enjoy!