Tomato & Gorgonzola SoupFeatured by Gainey Vineyard in the Gold Wine Club.
This rich soup along with a loaf of French bread is a perfect cold-weather course. We suggest serving it with a Merlot.Yield: 6
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
• 2 cups peeled, diced potatoes
• 2 cups thinly sliced leek (white part only)
• 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
• 3 tablespoons minced garlic
• 3 cups tomatoes, seeded and diced
• 4 cups chicken broth
• 3 tablespoons flour
• 6 tablespoons butter
• 1 cups heavy cream
• 2/3 cup thinly shredded basil
• 2 cups crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender and set aside.
Sauté leeks and onions over medium-high heat in 3 tablespoons butter until tender, add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Strain the liquid and set both liquid and vegetable mixture aside separately.
Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter, add flour and whisk over low heat for 3 minutes. Stir cream into flour mixture. Add broth, vegetable mixture, potatoes, basil and Gorgonzola and heat until cheese melts (do not boil).