Toasts with Mushrooms & EggsFeatured by Weatherborne Wine Corp. in the Platinum Wine Club.
A fantastic appetizer of Wild Mushrooms and Poached Eggs atop freshly griddled toasts to serve with your bottle of Pinot Noir in your monthly wine shipments.Yield: 6
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
• 4 tbsp. butter
• 1 ½ lbs. mushrooms, cleaned and roughly chopped
• 1 medium shallot, minced
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tsp. of red chile flakes
• 1 tsp. paprika
• 3 tbsp. Pinot Noir
• 2 tbsp. cream
• 1 tbsp. fresh herbs, like thyme or tarragon
• 4 eggs
• Bread, sliced, then griddled or toasted
1. Heat an inch of water in a wide nonstick frying pan. Add a pinch of salt and a capful of white vinegar. Turn down to a low simmer once boiling.
2. Add half of butter to a cast iron frying pan, preheated over medium high heat. Add half of mushroom and a pinch of salt. Cook until slightly browned and then stir or turn over. Once cooked on other side, move to outside of pan.
3. Add other half of butter, then repeat procedure on the rest of the mushrooms.
4. When mushrooms are well-browned, add shallot, garlic, chile flakes and paprika. Sauté another one minute. Turn down heat to low.
5. Immediately add wine to deglaze the pan and stir. Add cream once heat has moderated.
6. Poach eggs in water, spooning water over the whites to be sure they’ve set completely.
7. To assemble, butter bread, add poached egg and spoon mushrooms and sauce over the top. Sprinkle herbs on top. Serve while hot.