Summerland Cabernet Braised Short RibsFeatured by Summerland Winery in the Platinum Wine Club.
This short rib recipe is decadent and definitely one to try this week! Pair it with a Cabernet Sauvignon for the perfect match.Yield: 4
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 160 Minutes
• 3 to 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs (4 large short ribs)
• Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 pound small parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
• 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
• 1 medium onion, peeled and cubed
• 1 garlic bulb, peeled and sectioned
• 1 tablespoon flour
• 1 (750 ml) bottle Summerland Cabernet Sauvignon
• 1 (14-1/2 oz) can reduced sodium beef broth
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Working in batches in a large pot, cook in oil on medium-high heat until well browned.
Remove from pot and set aside. Add parsnips, carrots, onion and garlic; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute more. Add Summerland Cabernet Sauvignon, broth and Dijon to pot, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
Return short ribs to the pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer over low heat, covered but with the lid cracked, for 2 hours. Remove cover and simmer over medium-high heat for 30 minutes.
Season to taste with thyme, salt and pepper. Serve over soft polenta or mashed potatoes.