Spicy Puttanesca Penne PastaFeatured by Silver Wines in the Pinot Noir Wine Club.
A spicy rendition on Puttanesca Penne Pasta! Delicious additions of plum tomatoes, garlic, olives and capers take this recipe to the next level. Pair this meal with the 2010 Côteau Palmer Pinot Noir from Silver Wines.Yield: 4
Prep Time: 60 Minutes
Cook Time: 65 Minutes
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1 cup finely chopped onion
• 6 cloves minced garlic
• 2 (28-ounce) cans Roma plum tomatoes, broken into pieces, with juice
• 1 cup tightly packed, pitted, and halved Kalamata olives
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 2 tablespoons drained capers
• Optional - 2 tablespoons minced anchovy fillets (about 8 fillets)
• 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed basil
• 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes to taste
• 1 Lb. Penne pasta
• Wedge of Puntag
In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute until soft and lightly caramelized, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and the remaining ingredients and simmer until the sauce is thickened and slightly reduced, about 40 minutes. Adjust seasoning, to taste, cover and set aside. Boil water in separate pot, cook pasta until Al dente, Add penne pasta to the sauce pan and toss for 1 minute.
Serve with, Caesar salad, garlic bread and great wine. Sprinkle with crushed basil and grated parmesan cheese.