Spanish PaellaA featured Wine Club recipe for Bodegas Pinna Fidelis.
A very traditional paella, garnished with chorizo, chicken, peas, squid, mussels, and shrimp. Pair it with a Tempranillo to top off a perfect meal.Yield: 6
Prep Time: 45 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
• 4 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 red bell pepper, chopped
• 4 oz Spanish chorizo (cured spiced pork sausage), casing discarded and sausage cut into 1/4-inch dices
• 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves cut into 1 inch cubes
• 1 (12 oz) package uncooked Arborio rice
• 5 cups chicken broth
• 1/2 cup white wine
• 1 sprig fresh thyme
• 1 pinch saffron
• Salt to taste
• Ground black pepper to taste
• 2 squid, cleaned and cut into 1 inch pieces
• 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
• 1/2 cup frozen green peas
• 12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 1 lb mussels, cleaned and de-bearded
• 1/4 cup chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
• 8 slices lemon, for garnish
Heat olive oil in paella pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and pepper; cook and stir for a few minutes. Add chorizo sausage, diced chicken, and rice; cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in 3 1/2 cups stock, wine, thyme, leaves, and saffron. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 15 minutes; stir occasionally.
Taste the rice, and check to see if it’s cooked. If it’s uncooked, stir in 1/2 cup more stock. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally. Stir in additional stock if necessary (use up to 2 cups additional stock, 5 cups total). Cook until rice is done.
Stir in squid, tomatoes, and peas. Cook for 2 minutes. Arrange prawns and mussels on top. Cover with foil, and leave for 3 to 5 minutes.
Remove the foil, and scatter parsley over the food. Serve in paella pan, garnished with lemon wedges.
Recipe from www.allrecipes.com.