Sour-Orange Yucatan ChickensFeatured by Stateland Cellars - Double J Ranch in the Gold Wine Club.
A sweet honey and sour citrus sauce baked over tender chicken. Pair this recipe with a Sauvignon Blanc. **Chicken should marinate a minimum of 2-3 hours.Yield: 1 Whole Chicken
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 150 Minutes
• 20 garlic cloves, halved
• ¼ cup vegetable oil
• 1 1/3 cups fresh orange juice
• ½ cup pure lemon juice
• ¼ cup pure ancho Chile powder
• 2 tablespoons hot paprika
• 4 tablespoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• Two 3 ½-pound chickens
• ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon honey
1. In a food processor, mince the garlic with the vegetable oil. Add the orange and lemon juices, chile powder, paprika, salt and cumin and blend well
2. Loosen the skin on the chicken breasts and around the legs. Put each chicken in a bowl and cover with the marinade. Rub the marinade under the skin and in the cavity. Turn the chickens breast side up and refrigerate overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Set the chickens breast side up in a large roasting pan and season with salt. Add the marinade to the pan along with 1 cup of water. Bake for 1 hour. Spoon ¼ cup of the pan juices into a small bowl and stir in 3 tablespoons of the honey; pour over the chickens and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the inner thighs registers 160 degrees.
4. Drain the cavity juices into the roasting pan. Transfer the chickens to a carving board to rest for 10 minutes. Pour the pan juices into a saucepan. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of hone, bring to a boil and season with salt. Carve the chickens and serve with the sauce.
Recipe provided by Double J Ranch.