Sopa de Lentejas (Spanish Lentil Soup)A featured Wine Club recipe for Adventure Package: Spain.
Every family in Spain has its own version of lentil soup (sopa de lentejas). Keeping that in mind, this recipe is one of the most classic ways to prepare it. Use this as a base and, once mastered, feel free to make any changes you'd like to better suit you and your family's tastes.Yield: 12
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 75 Minutes
• 1 pound dry lentils
• 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
• 2 carrots, trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• 2 celery ribs, medium dice
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 4 boneless pork loin chops, cut into 1-inch chunks
• 2 links chorizo , cut into 1/2-inch chunks
• 2 tablespoons Spanish virgin olive oil
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
• Water (as needed)
• Kosher salt, to taste
• Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Gather the ingredients.
2. Begin by sorting through lentils to remove any debris or rocks.
3. Rinse dry lentils under cold water.
4. Place lentils into a medium saucepan and cover with water. Soak lentils for 1 hour.
5. Pour olive oil into a large pot over medium heat. When oil is hot, add vegetables and cumin and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes.
6. Add pork and chorizo and sauté for 3 more minutes, making sure meat doesn't stick.
7. Add just enough water to pot to completely cover vegetables and meat. Bring water to a boil.
8. Drain lentils and add to pot.
9. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until lentils are cooked, about 1 hour. Check pot every 15 to 20 minutes. Add additional water if/when needed.
10. When lentils are fully cooked, season soup with salt and pepper to taste.
11. Serve in bowls with rustic bread on the side.
Recipe sourced from Viños Valtuille