Slow Cooker German-Style Pot RoastFeatured by Schug Winery in the Gold Wine Club.
A perfect slow-cooked meal - start it in the morning and you'll have dinner waiting for you when you come home! Succulent roast surrounded by vegetables, potatoes and cabbage with a rich broth. You can't go wrong pairing this with the Schug Pinot Noir.Yield: 6 - 8
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 360 Minutes
• 2.5-pound boneless beef chuck roast
• 1 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
• 3/4 teaspoon dried onion granules
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon canola oil 2 onions, sliced
• 1/3 cup low-sodium beef broth 1 cup apple cider
• 1/4 small head red cabbage, thick core removed and discarded, leaves finely sliced
• 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 3 medium red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill or flat-leaf parsley
In a small bowl, stir together salt, dried onion, pepper and nutmeg. Pat roast dry and rub all over with seasoning mixture. Heat oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add roast and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes total, lowering heat if the pan starts to smoke. Transfer roast to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Surround with carrots, potatoes and cabbage.
Return the skillet to medium heat. Add onions and broth and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in cider. Pour onions and liquid over beef. Cover and cook until beef is very tender, 8 to 9 hours on low or 4 to 4 1/2 hours on high. Slice beef and serve with vegetables and pan juices. Sprinkle with dill.