Skillet-Roasted Strip SteaksFeatured by Adventure Package: Chile in the International Wine Club.
Enjoy this delicious recipe that pairs great with a Cabernet Sauvignon from your monthly wine box!Yield: 4
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
• 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla
• 1 medium-large tomato, seeded and diced
• 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno, or serrano pepper
• 2 tablespoons red-wine or cider vinegar
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 3/4 teaspoon paprika
• 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
• 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
• 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
• 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
• 2 8 - 10 - ounces New York strip (top loin) steaks, trimmed
• 2 teaspoons canola oil
• 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
To prepare Pebre Sauce: Place onion in a medium bowl, cover with ice water and let soak for 10 to 20 minutes. Drain. Combine the onion, tomato, cilantro, jalapeno (or serrano), vinegar, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
To prepare steak: Mix paprika, cumin, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture evenly over both sides of steaks.
Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet, such as cast iron, over medium-high. Add the steaks and cook just until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast the steaks 5 to 7 minutes for medium-rare, depending on thickness. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, mash avocados with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
Carve the steak into thin slices. Serve with the avocado and Pebre Sauce.
Tip: MAKE AHEAD TIP: The Pebre Sauce will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Recipe sourced by Eating Well