Sicilian Meatball SoupFeatured by Feudo Solaria Winery in the International Wine Club.
Flavored with Parmesan and garlic and studded with raisins, scrumptious Sicilian meatballs turn vegetable soup into a tempting meal!Yield: 4
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
• 1/2 lb ground beef
• 5 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
• 2 Tbs raisins
• 2 Tbs dry bread crumbs
• 1 egg, beaten
• 5 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
• 2 Tbs olive oil
• 2 carrots, cut into 1/4 inch dice
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 ribs celery, cut into 1/4 inch dice
• 1 zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch dice
• 1 1/2 quarts canned low sodium chicken broth
• 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree
• 1/2 tsp dried rosemary, or 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary 1 cup small pasta shells or other small macaroni
In a medium bowl, mix together the ground beef, 4 Tbs of the parsley, the Parmesan, raisins, bread crumbs, egg, half of the garlic, 1/2 tsp of the salt, and 1/4 tsp of the pepper until thoroughly combined. Shape the mixture into 24 meatballs.
In a large pot, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the carrots, onion, celery, and the remaining garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, about 5 min. Add the zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 min. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, rosemary, and the remaining 2 tsp salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 10 min.
Add the remaining Tbs parsley, 1/4 tsp pepper, and the pasta to the soup. Simmer for 5 min. Stir in the meatballs and simmer gently until the meatballs and pasta are done, about 5 min. longer. Serve with additional Parmesan.
Recipe sourced from www.foodandwine.com.