Shrimp Lemongrass BisqueFeatured by Wrath Wines - EX Wines in the Platinum Wine Club.
This is a favorite dish paired with our EX 2018 Chardonnay.Yield: 4
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
• 4 shallots, sliced
• 4 cloves garlic, smashed
• 4 stalks lemongrass, smashed and cut
• 4 Thai bird chiles, chopped (can substitute serranos)
• palm-sized piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
• 3 tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
• 1 cup dry white wine (EX Chardonnay)
• 1 pound shrimp, raw, peeled- reserve shells
• 3 cups chicken broth, roasted or bone broth best
• 1 cup coconut milk, or to taste
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1 bunch cilantro
• 1 bunch basil
• ½ package (2 cups) fresh bean sprouts
• 3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and sliced
• lime wedges, optional
• Sirachi sauce
• salt & pepper
Step 1: In a deep soup pot, heat oil and add shallots, garlic, lemongrass, chiles, and ginger. Lower heat, cover pot and sweat for 3 to 4 minutes until very fragrant.
Step 2:Deglaze pot with wine and boil for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and shrimp shells. Simmer on low for 45 minutes.
Step 3:Strain soup, return liquid to pan, add coconut milk and cream. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more coconut milk if needed.
Step 4:Heat to very hot but do not boil. Add shrimp, tomatoes, ½ cup cilantro and ¼ cup basil.
Heat again until shrimp are pink (2 to 3 minutes).
Step 5:Pass bowls of cilantro, basil, and bean sprouts on the side so guests can garnish their soup as desired. Lime wedges are for squeezing into soup, to taste. Garnish with a few drops of Sirachi sauce if spice is wanted.
Note: Lemongrass can often be found in the fresh herb section of the grocery store
Recipe adapted from Azul Restaurant, Miami