Seriously Good Stuffed MushroomsFeatured by Mission Trail Vineyards in the Gold Wine Club.
A Chardonnay goes fabulous with this simple, yet tasty starter dish. It is nearly impossible to have just one. You better double up if you have company over, and that goes for the Mushrooms too! Enjoy!Yield: 24 Mushrooms
Prep Time: 18 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
• 3 Italian hot sausages, casings removed (Mild for the faint of heart)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
• 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
• 1 large egg yolk
• Olive oil to coat glass baking pan
• 24 large (about 2-inch-diameter) mushrooms, stemmed
Sauté sausage and oregano in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until sausage is cooked through and browned (about eight minutes). Break cooked Sausage into small pieces with back of fork, using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl and let cool. Mix in 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder, and the cream cheese. Season stuffing with salt and pepper; mix in the egg yolk.
Coat 15x10x2 inch glass baking dish with olive oil. Fill the mushroom caps with scant 1 tablespoon filling and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese over all. Arrange mushrooms, stuffing side up, in prepared dish. (This can be made 1 day ahead). Cover and chill. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Bake uncovered until mushrooms are tender and stuffing is brown on top, about 25 minutes.