Risotto with Butternut Squash and LeeksA featured Wine Club recipe for Windstream Cellars.
This deluxe and rich risotto substitutes chopped onions with slices of leeks for a lighter taste and crispy texture.Yield: 6
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
• 2 cups Arborio rice or medium-grain rice
• 1 large butternut squash (~2lbs.), peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
• 3 large leeks (white and pale green parts only), thinly sliced (~3 cups)
• 4 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
• 6 cups vegetable broth
• 1/2 cup whipping cream
• 2 Tbs. fresh sage, chopped
• 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
• Salt and freshly ground pepper, season to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place squash on large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 Tbs. oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast until tender and beginning to brown, stirring occasionally, about 40 min.
In a large saucepan, bring stock and whipping cream to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cover. Add rice and stir for 1 min. Add 1/2 cup vegetable broth and simmer until absorbed, constantly stirring. Add remaining vegetable broth 1/2 cup at a time, allowing it to absorb each time. Continue to stir constantly until rice is tender and mixture is creamy, about 25 min. Add roasted squash, Parmesan cheese, and sage.
Heat 2 Tbs. oil in another large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and fry until golden brown, about 10 min. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top risotto with leeks and serve warm.
Recipe provided by Windstream Cellars.