Rich Moroccan Vegetarian StewFeatured by Scott Harvey Wines in the Gold Wine Club.
Spend your evening in Morocco with this delicious vegetarian stew. Be sure to pair it with a glass of Syrah from one of our monthly Wine Clubs.Yield: 6
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 480 Minutes
• 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
• 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 Teaspoon Coriander, ground
• 1 Teaspoon cumin, ground
• 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne powder
• 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
• 5 Cups chicken or Vegetable Broth
• 4 Carrots, peeled, 1/2 inch slices
• 2 1/2 Cups Zucchini, 1/2 inch slices
• 2 1/2 Cups Eggplant, peeled, diced
• 2 Cups Cauliflower Florets
• 1 Cup Onions 1/2 diced (approx. 5 ounces)
• 2 Cans Stewed Tomatoes
• 1 Can Garbanzo Beans, rinsed, drained
• 1/2 Cup Dried Currants
• 1 cup Toasted Almonds, chopped
• 1/2 Tablespoon Sea Salt
Pour olive oil into a small frying pan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and spices and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, 1-2 minutes, being careful not to scorch the garlic. Scrape the mixture into slow cooker (at least 5 quart). Add broth, carrots, eggplant, zucchini, cauliflower, onion, stewed tomatoes (with juices) garbanzo beans, currants, almonds and salt. Stir to combine. Cover slow-cooker and cook on high until vegetables are tender to bit and flavors are blended, 8-9 hours.
Ladle about 3 cups of the vegetable mix into a blender. Holding lid down with towel and taking care to avoid steam, whirl until smooth. Return puree to slow cooker and stir to blend. Ladle stew into tureen or individual bowls. Serve with couscous and a dollop of plain yogurt.
Recipe sourced by Scott Harvey Wines