Puchero Canario (Canary Island Stew)Featured by Adventure Package: Canary Islands in the International Wine Club.
This hearty stew is made from pumpkin, cabbage, sweet potatoes, pork and beef. Pairs it with a Red Blend from this month’s wine of the month shipment!Yield: 6
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 85 Minutes
• 1 lb beef or pork, chunks
• 1 lb chicken, boneless, chunks
• 1 lb chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
• 1 lb potatoes, chunks
• ½ lb green beans, 2” pieces
• ½ lb pumpkin, large chunks
• 1 lb zucchini, 2” pieces
• ½ lb carrots, 2” pieces
• 1 lb sweet potatoes, large chunks
• ½ white cabbage, chunks
• 2 corn on the cob, cut in half
• 1 head of garlic, chopped
• 1 leek, sliced
• 1 onion, diced
• 1 tomato, cubed
• Saffron, optional
• ½ Cup parsley
1. Sauté the onion and garlic in a large stockpot, add the tomato, parsley, chickpeas and meat. Cover with water and cook for 1 hour uncovered.
2. Add the potatoes, sweet potatoes and pumpkin that have all been cut into large pieces and cook 15 min.
3. Add the green beans, zucchini, cabbage, leeks, corn and carrots, all cut into large chunks.
4. When everything is cooked remove from heat.
5. Strain the liquid into a large pot and serve the stock as a vegetable soup sprinkled with chopped parsley.
6. The meats and vegetables are then eaten as the main course.
This hearty stew is made from pumpkin, cabbage, sweet potatoes, pork and beef. The broth of the stew is drained off and eaten as a soup for a first course, while the second course is the meat and vegetables from the stew. Pairs well with Bodega Candido Hernandez Pio 2017 'Calius' Red Blend in this month’s wine club shipment.