Portuguese PaellaFeatured by Adega de Quinta da Veiga in the International Wine Club.
If you're a fan of Spanish Paella you will love the Portuguese version of it! Try pairing this recipe with the Casa das Mouras Tinto Reserva.Yield: 4 - 6
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
• 6 skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
• 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
• 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
• 1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
• 2 tsp. canola oil
• 1 link Portuguese chourico, sliced in rounds
• 1 cup onions, chopped
• 1/2 cup red bell peppers, chopped
• 1 1/2 cups uncooked arborio rice
• 1/2 cup diced plum tomatoes
• 1 tsp. sweet paprika
• 1/4 tsp. saffron threads, crushed
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 3 cups chicken broth
• 3/4 lb. large shrimp, peeled & deveined
• 1 cap asparagus, cut diagonally
• 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sprinkle chicken with rosemary, 1/2 tsp. salt, and black pepper. Heat oil in a large oven proof nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add chicken; cook for 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove chicken from pan; cover and keep warm.
Add Chourice and cook until lightly browned. Add onion and bell pepper; cook for 7 minutes, stirring constantly. Add rice, tomato, paprika, saffron and garlic; cook for 1 minute stirring constantly. Return chicken to pan. Add broth and 1/4 tsp. of salt; bring to boil.
Wrap handle of pan with foil, cover pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 min. Stir in shrimp, asparagus, and peas. Cover and bake an additional 5 minutes or until shrimp are no longer translucent.