Pomegranate & Spice Braised PorkFeatured by Taft Street Winery in the Gold Wine Club.
Tender, juicy pork covered in a delicious, rich sauce of pomegranate and spices.Yield: 6
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 120 Minutes
• 3-1/2 to 4 pounds bone-in pork shoulder
• Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
• 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
• 5 large garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
• 6 slices of fresh ginger, 1/8 thick & about the size of a quarter
• 2 star anise
• 1 stick of cinnamon, about 2 inches long
• 2 cups of Taft Street Merlot
• 2 cups unsweetened pomegranate juice
• 2 teaspoons Hoisin sauce
• 1 large onion
• 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
• 1/2 cup soy sauce
• 2 teaspoons fish or oyster sauce
• 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
Season all sides of the pork with salt and pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in skillet over medium- high heat. Add pork and sear until golden brown all over. Remove from Pork from skillet and set aside.
Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven just large enough to hold roast. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, then add the garlic and cook until aromatic. Add the ginger, star anise, cinnamon and peppercorns. Add roast to pan and add the Taft Street Merlot, pomegranate juice, soy sauce, fish sauce and Hoisin sauce. The liquid should come at least halfway up on the roast. If not, add more wine and pomegranate juice in equal amounts. Stir, cover at a low simmer.
Check the level of tartness after 30 minutes, then add brown sugar if needed (to taste) to balance the acidity of the wine and the tartness of the juice. Continue at a low simmer for another hour, then turn the roast and simmer for about 1-1/2 hours or more, until the meat is fork tender. Remove the meat to a platter and keep warm. Bring the sauce to a boil and reduce about one-half.
Strain and discard solids. Remove the bone from the meat (it should easily release on its own) and cut the meat into serving portions. Return meat to the sauce and re-warm, if needed, then serve, spooning the sauce over the meat.
Serve with garlic mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables.