Perfect Filet MignonA featured Wine Club recipe for Carucci Wines.
Pair this savory Filet Mignon with a glass of Pinot Noir!Yield: 2
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
• 2 Filet Mignons
• salt & ground black pepper to taste
• 1 tablespoon oil
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 5 cloves garlic (peeled)
• 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
1. Prep: Remove fillet steaks from fridge 30-60 minutes before preparing. Unwrap, season and let sit on a plate on the counter. For best results, do not skip this step.
2. Sear: Once ready to cook, heat oven to 360°F. Place a medium cast iron skillet over high heat for 3-5 minutes. Once hot, carefully add oil (watch out for splatters). Sear the Filet Mignon for 2-3 minutes per side (1-2 minutes for Petite Filet Mignons), until browned with a nice crust. Immediately remove skillet from heat.
3. Finish: Carefully add butter, garlic and rosemary to skillet. Place skillet in oven and bake for 2-8 minutes, depending on preferred doneness.
As a rule of thumb, 5 minutes will yield fillet steaks cooked to about medium. 3-4 minutes will yield medium-rare fillet steaks. 2 minutes will yield rare fillet steaks. 6-7 minutes will yield medium-well and 8 minutes well-done fillet steaks. The exact timing depends on your exact Filet Mignon weight and thickness.
4. Rest: Remove steak from skillet and place on a plate. Tent with foil, then rest for 5-10 minutes (do not skip rest). Serve with garlic cloves and butter from skillet.