Pepper Crusted Ahi TunaFeatured by Edgewood Estate Winery in the Gold Wine Club.
Pair this dish with one of your favorite Zinfandel's from your wine subscription box!Yield: 2
Prep Time: 45 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Fava Bean Sauce
• 1 cup shucked fava beans
• 2 cups chicken stock
• 1/4 cup picked parsley leaves
• 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
• 1 stick butter at room temperature
• 1 cup warm milk
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1/2 bunch or 1/4 cup chopped chives
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 4 - 6 ounce tuna steaks, 2 inches thick, cut into long rectangles
• 2 tablespoons coarsely cracked white pepper
• 2 tablespoons coarsely cracked black pepper
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 cup cooked, sliced mushrooms (use whatever wild mushrooms are available, such as chanterelles, morels, cepes)
• 1/4 cup cooked, diced carrots
• 1/4 cup cooked, peeled pearl onions
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2 tablespoons chicken stock
Fava Bean Sace
Cook parsley in 2 cups boiling, salted water until leaves easily tear, yet are still green. Remove from heat and shock parsley in ice water. Squeeze dry and set aside.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Boil potatoes in salted water until done. Strain. Place potatoes on sheet pan in oven for approximately 10 minutes (to dry them out). Put potatoes through a food mill or ricer. Place hot potatoes in mixing bowl. Begin mixing potatoes with paddle on low speed. Slowly add in butter, milk, sour cream, and chives until mixture is smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. If possible, prepare the Tuna and the Vegetables at the same time, as they both take only minutes to prepare.
Combine white and black pepper. Spread evenly on small tray. Lightly coat one (long) side of each tuna steak with the pepper mixture. Do not press pepper into flesh of tuna. Sear pepper side down over high heat in large skillet for 2 minutes. Turn over and cook for 1 and 1/2 to 2 minutes or more, depending on how you like your tuna.
Combine mushrooms, carrots, and onions in saucepan with butter and chicken stock over medium heat. Stir until vegetables are glazed.
Place small mound of glazed vegetables in the center of plate. Pipe potato puree in semi-circle “staircase” from high to low around vegetables. Slice each tuna steak into 4 pieces. Place tuna slices on potato puree staircase with rare side facing up. Heat up fava bean sauce and pour on front of dish. Serve.
Recipe sourced by Edgewood Estate Winery