Orecchiette with Tomatoes & RicottaFeatured by Weatherborne Wine Corp. in the Platinum Wine Club.
A wonderful combination of Orecchiette with Cherry Tomatoes and Ricotta Salata is perfect for tonight's dinner. Pair it with the wines in your Pinot Noir Wine Club delivery!Yield: 4
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
• 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
• 1 medium yellow onion, diced
• 1-2 tsp. dried red chile flakes
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 ½ pint yellow and red cherry tomatoes
• 3/4 lb. dried orecchiette
• 2 tbsp. dried oregano or marjoram
• 3 oz. ricotta salata cheese, crumbled
• 1 oz. pecorino romano cheese, grated
1. Bring one gallon of salted water to boil in a large saucepan
2. In a large frying pan over medium heat, add olive oil, onion and a hearty pinch of salt. Cook until softened and golden, turn down heat if browning, around 10 minutes.
3. Add garlic and chile flake and cook a further 2 minutes.
4. Turn up heat to medium-high and add tomatoes. Once you have a vigorous simmer, turn down and reduce until tomatoes soften and create a slightly thickened sauce.
5. Boil orecchiette until they are just cooked through. No chalky center, but don’t worry about them being too chewy. Reserve two cups of pasta water. Drain and add orecchiette to sauce, mix. Add at least ½ cup of pasta water and mix.
6. Bring sauce/pasta up to a simmer, stirring occasionally and adding a bit of pasta water as needed. The pasta will soak up the liquid as it continues to cook, usually another 7 minutes or so. Turn off heat as soon as the pasta is al dente. Add herbs.
7. Serve topped with the cheeses. Save any extra pasta water for hydrating leftovers.