Nonno's RisottoFeatured by Brutocao Cellars in the Gold Wine Club.
A fantastic risotto recipe from Brutocao Cellars. Abundant in flavor with a rich texture that would pair perfectly with the 2013 Über Zin.Yield: 8
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 100 Minutes
• ½ onion
• 6 cloves of garlic
• 2 cans tomato sauce- chunky preferred
• 1 can diced tomatoes
• 4 cans chicken broth
• ½ lb. veal (diced)
• ½ lb. pork tenderloin (diced)
• ½ lb. hot Italian sausage (rolled into mini meatballs)
• ½ lb. chicken breasts diced.
• About 10 sprigs of Italian parsley (chopped)
• Fresh ground pepper- about 10 heavy shakes
• Red pepper flakes – 2 tsp.
• Oregano- 1 tsp.
• Italian seasoning- 10 shakes
• Nutmeg- 3 shakes
• Cinnamon- 1tsp.
• Olive oil- 2 tsp.
• ½ lb. of crimini mushrooms (quartered)
• 2 dry oz. of Arborio rice per serving and 2 oz. for the pot. (by cup measure- not by weight)
In a large kettle, pour tomato sauce, tomatoes and 1 can of chicken broth. Bring to boil and then reduce heat to keep hot only. Mince or chop garlic and simmer in olive oil, adding onions until transparent. Add to tomato sauce.
Brown meats quickly and lightly separately and then add to sauce. Add mushrooms to sauce – stirring occasionally. Add seasonings to the sauce.
Cook over medium-low heat with lid on for as many hours as possible- stirring occasionally. Taste occasionally and add seasonings to taste.
40 minutes before serving time heat the remaining chicken broth in a separate pan. Add rice to the sauce, stirring constantly so as not to stick. Add broth as necessary to keep liquid consistency - never add cold broth. Heat up and taste for texture. Serve. May need more or less broth.