Meatballs with Wild Mushrooms and RosemaryA featured Wine Club recipe for Lucas & Lewellen Vineyards - Toccata Wines.
A warm and inviting meatball and mushroom meal that would be a perfect topping to rice or a number of pastas. Pair this with the Lucas & Lewellen Merlot featured in our Gold Wine of the Month Club.Yield: 8
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Serving Size: 2 meatballs
• 2 1/4 lbs. lean ground beef
• 3 eggs
• 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1/4 bunch parsley, chopped
• 2 tsp. salt
• ½ tsp. pepper
• ½ cup dried mushrooms soaked in 1 cup boiling water
• 3 cups veal or beef stock
• 1 can tomatoes (14 oz)
• ½ cup Lucas & Lewellen Merlot
• ½ lb sliced shitake mushrooms
• 2 sprigs fresh chopped rosemary
Combine all meatball ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Shape into meatballs. Place on a lined baking sheet and bake in 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven.
To make sauce, combine dried mushrooms with soaking liquid, stock, tomatoes and Merlot and bring to a boil. Purée sauce with hand blender and return to stove. Add shiitakes and rosemary and simmer for 5 minutes. Add meatballs to sauce and re-warm. Serve over warm pasta or rice.