Meatballs and Pasta SauceFeatured by Windrun Vintners in the Gold Wine Club.
This recipe produces a rich, aromatic, heavy-body meatballs-and-sauce which can be served fresh, and/or made in large quantities for freezing. A superb wine pairing is with Windrun's 2015 Pinot Noir from your most recent Pinot Noir Wine Club shipment.Yield: 6 - 8
Prep Time: 45 Minutes
Cook Time: 190 Minutes
• 1 lb. each ground lamb and ground pork
• 1/2 red onion, finely diced
• 1/2 tsp whole fennel seeds; hand grind
• Two raw eggs
• 1 tsp thyme
• 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
• 4 12 oz cans diced tomatoes (or 3 lbs fresh tomatoes, well diced)
• 6 bay leaves
• 2 tbsp chopped parsley
• 8 cloves garlic, skinned, fine-chopped or crushed
• 1 1/2 tsp whole fennel seeds; hand grind
• 1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds; hand grind
• 1 tsp whole celery seeds; hand grind
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 2 tsp dry oregano
• 1 tbsp dry rosemary leaves, hand grind, or 1 1/2 tsp ground rosemary
• 1 to 2 tbsp sea salt (to taste)
• 1 tsp white pepper and/or 1/2 tsp hot Chinese pepper sauce or dry cayenne pepper (to taste)
Puree tomatoes into large stewing pot, and start over medium heat. Add bay leaves, oregano, salt, pepper (and chili if used). Hand-grind whole spice seeds, mix with turmeric, and lightly brown in olive oil with garlic on low-medium heat; add to sauce.
Thoroughly hand-mix all meatball ingredients and roll into balls on wax sheet (a little larger than a golf ball). Turn sauce to low heat. Lightly brown the meatballs in olive oil to "set" them.
Add the meatballs to the sauce and cook on low heat for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally (wooden spoon).
Serve with fresh-cooked spaghetti, capellini, or penne pasta.
Recipe provided by Windrun Vintners.