Maria Biscuit Coffee CakeFeatured by Quinta do Vallado in the International Wine Club.
This amazing and decadent cake is a traditional Portuguese dessert with layered Maria biscuits, coffee and buttercream. Pair it with the Touriga Nacional featured in our International Wine Club!Yield: 8
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 120 Minutes
20 oz. Maria Biscuits
2 Egg Yolks see note below
1 cup Light Brown Sugar
1 cup Unsalted Butter room temp
1 cup Sweetened Coffee room temp
(Also known as Bolo de Bolacha)
1. In the bowl of a mixer cream the butter and brown sugar together.
2. Add 1-2 tablespoons of coffee to mixture
3. Add egg yolks one at time and beat until a smooth consistency is achieved. Set bowl aside.
4. Lightly soak 7 Maria cookies in the remaining coffee and place them on a large round serving platter. Start with a layer of 6 biscuits in a circle shape and a biscuit in the center of the circle.
5. On top of the single layer of cookies, add a layer of the cream icing. Spread it thinly over the Maria biscuits and then make a second layer of Maria biscuits. Repeat this process 3 more times for a total of 5 layers.
6. Spread the remaining icing over the top and sides. Smooth out the top and sides with a spatula. The layer of cream on the sides should be very thin.
7. Place in the refrigerator for a few hours or over night.
8. Before serving garnish with crushed Maria cookies and coffee beans, optional.
Recipe sourced from homemadeinterest.com