Joseph Jewell's Lamb ShanksFeatured by Joseph Jewell Wines in the Pinot Noir Wine Club.
My personal favorite with our 2012 Hallberg Pinot Noir is Lamb Shanks. This wine has the structure and body to pair with red meats and I feel that this dish complement the Hallberg Pinot.Yield: 4
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 130 Minutes
• 4 lamb shanks, seasoned with salt and pepper
• ½ bottle red wine
• 6 celery stalks, cut into 2-inch dice (pieces on the bias)
• 2 medium yellow onions, cut into 2-inch dice (pieces)
• 15 cloves of garlic, peeled and whole
• 1 pound small potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaf or approx ½ bunch
• ½ bunch Italian parsley, chopped
• salt and pepper to taste
• chicken stock to cover
• zest of 1 orange
Brown seasoned shanks in heavy oven proof braising pan. Remove shanks from pan. Sauté all the vegetables together 5-10 minutes, until they begin to release their juices (“sweating”).
Return shanks to pan, deglaze with the wine and reduce liquid by half. Add stock to cover. Cook covered in 375 degree oven until tender for approx 2 hours, turning shanks every half hour.
Taste for seasoning and serve with an aioli sauce.
Recipe provided by Joseph Jewell Wines