Italian Sausage Rigatoni with Spicy Cream SauceA featured Wine Club recipe for Opolo Vineyards.
If you're a fan of spicy, this one's for you! Rich Italian sausage rigatoni topped with spicy cream sauce. Pair this with the Opolo 2011 Montagna-Mare featured in our Platinum Wine of the Month Club. Buon appetito!Yield: 4 - 6
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
• 12 ounces Rigatoni pasta
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 pound Italian sausage Remove from casings if in casings, use either sweet or spicy
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
• 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
•1/2 teaspoon dried basil
•1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/2 cup heavy cream
• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat olive oil in a large pan and cook onion until it starts to soften. Add sausage, and break it into pieces with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
2. When sausage is no longer pink, add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Drain off any excess fat.
3. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, basil, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and place drained pasta in a large bowl.
5. Add cream and simmer another 5 minutes, Turn heat to low and stir in Parmesan cheese.
6. Pour sauce over pasta and toss to coat.