Italian Beef in Red WineA featured Wine Club recipe for Graziano Family of Wines - Monte Volpe Winery.
A delicious and succulent main dish of Italian beef slow-cooked in garlic and red wine. A great way to end your day, especially with a glass of Monte Volpe Sangiovese.Yield: 6 - 8
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 145 Minutes
• 4 pounds beef chuck (chicken may be substituted, cooking time 1 1/2 hrs.)
• 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
• 1 cup diced onions
• 1/2 cup sliced carrots
• 1/4 cup Chef Luigi Red Wine Vinegar
• 2 cups dry red table wine
• 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, peeled & chopped or 2 cans Italian tomatoes
• 2 bay leaves
• 1/4 cup heavy cream or condensed low-fat milk
Rub the beef with salt, pepper and garlic. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan, add the meat, diced onions and carrots. Cook over medium heat until meat is browned. Add vinegar, wine, tomatoes and bay leaves. Cover and cook over low heat for 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
Pour off the gravy and discard the bay leaves. Puree the gravy in a blender or food processor. Stir in the cream or thicken with flour. You may also heat for a few minutes to reduce and thicken. Serve gravy with beef.
Recipe provided by Monte Volpe Winery.