Insalata CapreseFeatured by Ballentine Vineyard in the Gold Wine Club.
Crisp and easy, this fresh caprese salad is an instant hit. Fresh ingredients is key to this recipe! Try pairing it with Ballentine's 2007 Chardonnay.Yield: 4 - 6
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 0 Minutes
• 2 lbs. vine-ripened tomatoes (about 4 large), sliced 1/2 inch thick
• 1 lb. fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/2 inch thick
• 1/2 cup packed fresh basil or arugula leaves, washed well and spun dry
• 1/2 tsp. dried oregano, crumbled, if using arugula instead of basil
• 3 to 4 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
• fine sea salt to taste
• freshly ground black pepper to taste
On a large platter, arrange tomato and mozzarella slices and basil leaves, alternating and overlapping them. Sprinkle salad with oregano and arugula and drizzle with oil. Season the salad with salt and pepper.