Herb and Spice Roasted Cornish Game HensFeatured by Baileyana Winery in the Gold Wine Club.
This very simple dish showcases the rich flavors of the Baileyana Chardonnay for our Wine of the Month Club members to savor.Yield: 3 - 6 as an entrée
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 75 Minutes
• 3 Cornish game hens, livers and gizzards removed and rinsed
• 3 whole cloves garlic, peeled
• 2 large shallots, peeled and quartered
• 3 large sprigs of fresh rosemary
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse-grained mustard
• 2 teaspoons fines herbs (see note)
• 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
• 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Preheat oven to 350. Place game hens in a large ovenproof baking dish. Place 1 clove garlic, several pieces of shallots, and 1 rosemary sprig into the cavity of each game hen. Rub 1/2 teaspoon salt into the cavity of the hens.
In a small bowl, combine mustards, fines herbs, paprika, fennel seed, pepper, red pepper flakes and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and whisk thoroughly. Coat game hens thoroughly with mixture.
Place in oven and roast for 1 1/4 hours, or until juices run clear. Remove from oven and serve with buttered corn and mashed potatoes.
Note: Fines Herbs is a classic French mixture of dried chervil, chives, parsley, and tarragon, available in finer supermarkets.