Herb and Spice Roasted Cornish Game HensFeatured by Baileyana Winery in the Gold Wine Club.
“This is a very simple dish that showcases the rich flavors of the Baileyana Chardonnay.”Yield: 3 - 6 as an entrée
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 75 Minutes
• 3 Cornish game hens, livers and gizzards removed and rinsed
• 3 whole cloves garlic, peeled
• 2 large shallots, peeled and quartered
• 3 large sprigs of fresh rosemary
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse-grained mustard
• 2 teaspoons fines herbs (see note)
• 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
• 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Preheat oven to 350. Place game hens in a large ovenproof baking dish. Place 1 clove garlic, several pieces of shallots, and 1 rosemary sprig into the cavity of each game hen. Rub 1/2 teaspoon salt into the cavity of the hens.
In a small bowl, combine mustards, fines herbs, paprika, fennel seed, pepper, red pepper flakes and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and whisk thoroughly. Coat game hens thoroughly with mixture.
Place in oven and roast for 1 1/4 hours, or until juices run clear. Remove from oven and serve with buttered corn and mashed potatoes.
Note: Fines Herbs is a classic French mixture of dried chervil, chives, parsley, and tarragon, available in finer supermarkets.