Grilled Potato and Onion Salad with Blue Cheese and BaconFeatured by Joseph Jewell Wines in the Pinot Noir Wine Club.
A mix of crumbly cheese, crispy bacon and charred red onions. This savory combination with tender new potatoes is incredibly good as a side with grilled beef tenderloin or steak. Pair it with the Joseph Jewell Pinot Noir.Yield: 6 - 8
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
• 1 pound sliced meaty bacon
• 3 red onions, sliced 1/2 inch thick
• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 3 1/2 pounds small new potatoes (about 1 1/2 inches in diameter), scrubbed
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• 1/2 pound blue cheese, such as Gorgonzola, Roquefort or Maytag Blue, crumbled
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spread the bacon slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until they are brown and crisp, about 15 minutes. Transfer the bacon slices to paper towel—lined plates to drain. Crumble into 1/2-inch pieces.
2. Light a grill. In a large bowl, toss the red onion slices with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill the onions over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred and tender, about 5 minutes. Cut the grilled onions into 1/2-inch pieces.
3. In a large pot of salted cold water, bring the potatoes to a boil. Simmer until they are beginning to get tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the potatoes and cut them in half. In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the potatoes over moderately high heat, turning once, until they are tender and browned, about 5 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the blue cheese. Add the bacon, onions and potatoes and toss to coat. Transfer the salad to a clean bowl and serve.