Grilled Lamb Sandwiches with Grilled Green OnionsFeatured by Domaine Cauvard in the Pinot Noir Wine Club.
These sandwiches pile on rosy slices of spring lamb, chopped grilled green onions and a variety of condiments. Uncork and enjoy your favorite Pinot Noir with this dish!Yield: 10
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
• 1 4 1/2-pound butterflied boned leg of lamb, trimmed of excess fat
• 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
• 1 tablespoon dried savory
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
• 5 bunches green onions, trimmed
• 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 French-bread baguettes, each cut crosswise into five 4- to 4 1/2-inch pieces
• Red Bell Pepper Sauce
• 1 1/2 cups purchased tapenade
Using sharp knife, cut 1/2-inch slits all over lamb. Insert garlic slices into slits. Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper, then herbs, pressing herbs to adhere. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Place green onions in large roasting pan. Drizzle 1/4 cup oil over onions; toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cut baguette pieces horizontally in half. Brush cut sides of bread with remaining 3 tablespoons oil.
Grill lamb until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 135°F. for medium-rare, turning occasionally, about 30 minutes. Transfer to platter and tent with foil. Let stand 10 minutes. Working in batches, arrange green onions in single layer on grill. Grill until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to cutting board. Grill baguettes, cut side down, until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
Chop onions. Place in bowl. Cut lamb diagonally into thin slices. Serve with green onions, baguette pieces, Aioli, Red Bell Pepper Sauce and tapenade.