Goddess Brown Rice Bowl with Fermented Veggies or TsukemonoFeatured by Lucas & Lewellen Vineyards - Toccata Wines in the Gold Wine Club.
An authentic and original recipe from Lucas & Lewellen, pair this Brown Rice Bowl with the Malbec in your recent Gold Wine Club shipment!Yield: 4
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
• 2 anchovy fillets
• 1 small clove of garlic, finely grated
• 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
• 1/3 cup mayonnaise
• 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
• 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
• 2 Tbs fresh tarragon leaves
• 1 Tbs lemon juice
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Kosher salt
• 1 1/2 cups short-grain brown rice
• 3 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
• 8 oz shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
• 1 1/2 cups sugar snap peas, stringed and halved
• 1 avocado, sliced
• Choose one or all of the following: 1 cup KimChi fermented cabbage, 1 cup Sauerkraut, 1 cup Tsukemono* (Japanese pickled vegetables)
• 1/3 cup roasted pepitas or chopped roasted cashews
*’Tsuke’ means ‘pickled’ in Japanese, and ‘mono’ means ‘thing,’ so Tsukemono refers to a large variety of Japanese pickles, most commonly vegetables like cucumber, daikon, turnip, carrots and eggplant. Vegetables may be pickled in vinegar, sake lees, miso, rice bran and salt, among others, with each pickling method creating unique flavor characteristics. Vinegar pickles have a sharp, sour flavor, while sake leese pickles have boozy, floral notes. Miso is distinctively salty and earthy. Rice bran has a deep umami (savory) flavor and is a bit salty.
For the Green Goddess Dressing:
Combine the anchovies, garlic, yogurt, mayonnaise, parsley, basil, chives, tarragon and lemon juice in a blender and blend until smooth and green. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the Rice Bow:
Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add 1 tsp salt and the brown rice and cook until the rice is tender but still toothsome, about 45 min. Drain well. Heat 2 Tbs of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fennel, shiitakes and 1/4 tsp salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are golden brown in spots and the fennel is crisp-tender, about 5 min. Add the remaining Tbs of oil to the skillet, followed by the sugar snap peas, zucchini, and another 1/4 tsp salt. Cook until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 min.
Divide the rice among 4 bowls. Top with the Kimchi, Sauerkraut or Tsukemono or other fermented/pickled vegetable mixture of your choice and then with the avocado slices. Drizzle with Green Goddess dressing and sprinkle with the pepitas or toasted cashews.
Recipe provided by Lucas & Lewellen.