Fettuccini Carbonara with Bacon and GorgonzolaFeatured by Lucas & Lewellen Vineyards - Toccata Wines in the Gold Wine Club.
This cheesy pasta has flavors of garlic, bacon, artichoke and cream that blend together perfectly. Pair this with a Merlot.Yield: 6
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
• 1 pound fettuccine
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 1/2 8-oz packages frozen artichoke hearts, thawed, quartered
• 1 1/2 cups crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (about 6 ounces)
• 1 cup whipping cream
• 1 cup half and half
• 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
• 8 slices cooked bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Cook pasta in heavy large pot of boiling salted water until tender, but still firm to bite. Drain well, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes. Add artichoke hearts; sauté 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese, cream, half and half, crushed red pepper, black pepper and salt, and simmer until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Add hot pasta to sauce and toss to coat. Remove from heat.
Add eggs to pasta and toss well. Add bacon, 1/2 cup Gorgonzola, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and parsley and toss to incorporate. Add reserved pasta cooking liquid to thin sauce, if desired. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup Gorgonzola and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese over pasta and serve.