Empanadas de Manzana (Apple Empanadas)Featured by Adventure Package: Chile in the International Wine Club.
A delicious Chilean empanadas recipe filled with heavenly apples, cinnamon, sugar, and more. Pair it with your Chilean wines from your recent International Wine Club shipment.Yield: 24 Empanadas
Prep Time: 60 Minutes
Cook Time: 13 Minutes
• 4 cups peeled and chopped Granny Smith apples
• 2 tablespoons Pillsbury BEST™ All-Purpose Flour
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 1/4 cup granulated sugar (optional for a sweet filling)
• 3 cups Pillsbury BEST™ All-Purpose Flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
• ½ cup Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
• 2 eggs
• ½ cup milk
• Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
• Canned evaporated milk or egg white
• Cinnamon-sugar mixture (1 teaspoon ground cinnamon mixed with 1/4 cup sugar)
Combine all apple filling ingredients in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
In a stand mixer mix the first 5 dry ingredients. Add in the shortening. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs and milk and combine with dry ingredients. Continue to combine until you have a soft dough. Split the dough in half, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about 20 to 30 minutes.
Assemble and Bake Empanadas:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Divide empanada dough into 24 pieces. On a floured surface, roll out the dough pieces into small round circles. Place a small dollop of apple filling on one half of each of the rolled out circles. Wet the edges of the circles with water to help seal the two halves. Fold over the dough and seal off the edges with a fork by pressing down along the edges. This also makes for a pretty pattern when baked. Brush each empanada with some canned evaporated milk or egg whites, sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Puncture the top of each empanada with a fork to allow steam to escape while baking.
Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray; place the empanadas on the cookie sheet and bake for 13 to 20 minutes on middle rack in the oven. If after 15 minutes you notice the bottoms of the empanadas starting to brown, move the cookie sheet to the top rack and continue to bake for the last 5 minutes, until golden brown.
Recipe sourced from http://muybuenocookbook.com