Croatian Country Lamb PekaFeatured by Lucas & Lewellen Vineyards - Toccata Wines in the Gold Wine Club.
Pair this Croatian delicacy with a Merlot from Gold Medal Wine Club!
• 2 lbs boneless lamb shoulder
• 8 Yukon gold potatoes
• 1 small zucchini, chopped
• 2 large carrots, chopped
• 1 green pepper, chopped
• 1 small eggplant, chopped
• 2 large yellow onions, chopped
• 2 tbsp minced garlic
• 2 tbsps tomato paste
• 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1 cup Lucas & Lewellen Merlot
• Freshly cracked black pepper
• Fresh herbs like parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme
• Flaky sea salt for serving
Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut lamb shoulder into large chunks and place to one side.
Add potatoes and vegetables into a covered baking pan. Place lamb on top of vegetables. Mix 3/4 cup of the olive oil in a bowl with minced garlic, tomato paste, and pepper. Pour oil mixture and Lucas & Lewellen Merlot over the lamb and vegetables. Add parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme to taste, trying to keep all the herbs together so the stalks can be easily removed once the Peka is cooked. Place lid on pan and cook for 1 1/2 hours, checking early for doneness.
Take the lid off and pour 1/4 cup olive oil on top of the lamb and vegetables and cook, uncovered, for another 15-30 minutes. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt to taste and serve with slices of crusty bread.
Recipe provided by Lucas & Lewellen Vineyards.