Creole Style Crab CakesFeatured by Raffaele Wines in the Gold Wine Club.
Fantastic recipe for creole crab cakes with fresh chutney. Pair it with a Voignier from your latest wine subscription box.Yield: Serves 10 to 12 appetizer portions
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 180 Minutes
• 1/4 cup sugar 3 tablespoons Raffaele Viognier
• 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar (approximate) 1 sprig rosemary
• 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 tart apple – 1/4 inch cube 1 mango – 1/4 inch cube
• 1/8 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped 1/8 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
• 1/4 teaspoon Sambal or equivalent fresh chili paste
• 1 stalk celery, finely chopped 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/3 cup) 1 egg, beaten
• 1/4 cup mayonnaise 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
• 1-1/2 cups soft French bread crumbs — cube and pulse in food processor until pea size
• 8 ounces fresh cooked crab meat or canned crab meat, drained, flaked, and cartilage removed (about 1 1/2 cups)
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 3 tablespoons finely chopped red sweet pepper
• 3 tablespoons finely chopped green sweet pepper
Combine all ingredients, except rice wine vinegar, in 2 quart sauce pan (no lid). Add rice wine vinegar to the level of the ingredients in pan and bring to boil. Simmer 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight to improve flavor.
Cook celery and onion in the 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet until tender; cool slightly. Combine egg, mayonnaise or salad dressing, dry mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, and ground red pepper in a mixing bowl. Add celery mixture, bread crumbs, crab meat, and the red and green sweet pepper. Mix well. Shape into 12 cakes. Cook the crab cakes in the 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve with fresh chutney sauce.
Recipe provided by Raffaele Winery