Chicken Tikka MasalaA featured Wine Club recipe for Comanche Cellars - Dog & Pony.
Pair this popular Indian dish with your favorite bottle of Syrah!Yield: 6
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 80 Minutes
• 6 garlic cloves, finely grated
• 4 tsp. finely grated peeled ginger
• 4 tsp. ground turmeric
• 2 tsp. garam masala
• 2 tsp. ground coriander
• 2 tsp. ground cumin
• 1½ cups whole-milk yogurt (not Greek)
• 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
• 2 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, halved lengthwise
• 3 Tbsp. ghee (clarified butter) or vegetable oil
• 1 small onion, thinly sliced
• ¼ cup tomato paste
• 6 cardamom pods, crushed
• 2 dried chiles de árbol or ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
• 1 28-oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, like San Marzano
• 2 cups heavy cream
• ¾ cup chopped cilantro, plus sprigs for garnish
• Steamed basmati rice (for serving)
1. Combine garlic, ginger, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, and cumin in a small bowl. Whisk yogurt, salt, and half of spice mixture in a medium bowl; add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and chill 4-6 hours. Cover and chill remaining spice mixture.
2. Heat ghee in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion, tomato paste, cardamom, and chiles and cook, stirring often, until tomato paste has darkened and onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add remaining half of spice mixture and cook, stirring often, until bottom of pot begins to brown, about 4 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes with juices, crushing them with your hands as you add them. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often and scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot, until sauce thickens, 8-10 minutes.
4. Add cream and chopped cilantro. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, 30-40 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set a wire rack inside sheet. Arrange chicken on rack in a single layer. Broil until chicken starts to blacken in spots (it will not be cooked through), about 10 minutes.
6. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces, add to sauce, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, 8-10 minutes. Serve with rice and cilantro sprigs.
Recipe sourced from Bon Appétit