On Point Chicken CurryFeatured by On Point Wines in the Gold Wine Club.
Fill your home with the smell of this amazing chicken curry and make sure to pair it with a Sangiovese from your recent wine club box.Yield: 4
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
• 1-1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch strips
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2-1/2 teaspoons curry powder, divided
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
• 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
• 2 cups low sodium chicken broth, best quality such as Swanson
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 2 teaspoons sugar
• 1 cup frozen peas (no need to thaw)
• 1/4 cup plain low fat (2%) or whole Greek yogurt (do not use nonfat)
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Sprinkle the chicken evenly with 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1 teaspoon curry powder.
2. Heat 1-1/2 tablespoons of oil in a 12-inch skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned but still pink in spots, about 3 minutes. Transfer the partially cooked chicken to a clean bowl and set aside.
3. Add the remaining 1-1/2 tablespoons oil to the skillet and set heat to medium. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, ginger and remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder and cook until fragrant, about a minute more.
4. Whisk the chicken broth and cornstarch together to dissolve the cornstarch, then add to the skillet along with the sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and cook until the sauce is nicely thickened, about 5 minutes.
5. Add the peas and partially cooked chicken to the skillet, turn the heat down to low and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, a few minutes. Off the heat, stir in the yogurt and cilantro; then season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with basmati rice.