Charlie Palmer's Turkey with Mushroom GravyA featured Wine Club recipe for McKahn Family Cellars.
Pair this delicious turkey dish with a glass of Pinot Noir.Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 150 Minutes
• 14 pound turkey
• 1 head of garlic, cut in half widthwise
• 4 tablespoons lemon juice
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 onion, peeled and quartered
• Assorted herbs, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, sage, marjoram
For the mushroom sauce:
• 6 cups intense chicken stock (reinforce with vegetables if needed)
• 8 oz white mushrooms, washed and quartered
• 8 oz oyster mushroom, torn into thin strips
• 1 small white onion, finely diced
• 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
• 3 tablespoons All Purpose flour
To roast the bird:
Rinse and dry the turkey thoroughly. Rub the entire turkey with the cut side of the garlic and then massage in the lemon juice. To obtain a nicely golden colored and crisp skin on the turkey it helps to let the skin dry out a bit. This is best accomplished if you complete the garlic and lemon rub the night before and leave the bird uncovered in the refrigerator overnight. After the skin has dried, rub the olive oil over the entire bird and season liberally inside and out with salt and pepper. Put the garlic, onion and herbs loosely into the cavity of the bird. Place into an oven preheated to 450 degrees. Roast for 30 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 325 degrees and baste the turkey every 20 minutes or so with the pan drippings. Cook for 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Before carving, the turkey should rest for at least 20 minutes.
For the sauce:
When turkey is done (180 degrees at the center of the thigh) remove to serving platter. Keep warm. Return pan to burner and with a spoon, scrape all the caramelized bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the mushroom, onion and tarragon. Sprinkle flour evenly over the pan. Stir over high heat for 3 minutes. Add the stock and simmer, stirring frequently for 20 minutes. Check the seasoning and strain into a small sauce pot.
Recipe adapted from Charlie Palmer's Practical Guide to the New American Kitchen