Cellar Rat CioppinoFeatured by Belvedere Winery - Bradford Mountain Winery in the Gold Wine Club.
The Cellar Rat Cioppino is a traditional Italian dish from the Hambrecht Family kitchen with much thanks to Alison Rosenblum. On Tuesdays during harvest, the cellar staff ends the day together with a big pot of stew and a few bottles of wine.Yield: 4 - 6
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 90 Minutes
• 8 Garlic cloves - 3 crushed, 5 minced
• 3/4 Cup Extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 Cans Italian tomatoes, 70 oz.
• 1 Large Onion, chopped
• 2 Scallions, sliced
• 1 Tabelspoon Oregano, fresh, chopped
• 2 Bay leaves
• 1/2 Cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
• 4 Anchovy Fillets, chopped
• 3 Teaspoons Harissa (or reconstituted dried chili, finely minced)
• 1-1/2 cup Belvedere Russian River Valley Chardonnay
• 2 cups Water
• 1 1/2 lb. firm fleshed White Fish (rockfish, halibut, cod)
• 3 Dungeness Crabs, cleaned and quartered (if you feel like splurging)
• 1 1/4 lb. Mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
• 1 lb. small Squid, cleaned, bodies cut into 1/2 inch rings, tentacles halved
• 1/2 lb. Shrimp, 20/30 ct., medium sized.
• Salt & Pepper
In a large saucepan, sauté the crushed garlic in 1/2 cup of olive oil over moderately high heat until golden. Add tomatoes and their liquid and bring to boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste, reduce the heat to medium and cook about 30 minutes until reduced to about 5 cups.
While the tomatoes reduce, heat a large non-reactive pot on high. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. When warm, add the onions, scallions, oregano and bay leaves, and cook until softened. Add parsley, anchovies, dried chili and minced garlic, and cook, stirring, until the garlic is just golden. Add the wine and cook over high heat until reduced by half. Add the water and tomato sauce and bring back to boil. Add the fish, crab, mussels, squid and shrimp, cover and cook through and the mussels have opened.
Discard the bay leaves and unopened mussels. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately with rustic bread.