Butterflied Leg of LambFeatured by Blossom Hill Winery - Inheritance Wines in the Gold Wine Club.
Although the lamb will take some time to marinate, this really allows the meat to become tender and full of flavor. Try pairing this with the Inheritance 2002 Syrah.Yield: 1 leg of lamb
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
• Butterfly 5-6 pounds Leg of Lamb Trim off all silver skin and fat from meat
• 4 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 4 cloves Garlic - minced
• 3-4 cups Inheritance 2002 Petite Syrah
• 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Rosemary or
• 1 to 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh Basil
• Sea Salt and fresh ground Pepper
• 1-2 glasses for the chef during prep
Mix olive oil, garlic, wine, herbs and spices in sealable plastic bag. Marinate for 6-8 hours in plastic bag, turning frequently (on the hour or so). Drink wine during this process.
Use red oak wood and/or mesquite briquettes — when coals are covered with grey ash add two thinly sliced red onions and bell peppers to the coals. Pat meat dry… flatten (butterfly) with a mallet or heavy pan to 2"-3" thickness. Place meat over coals, grill over high heat 10-12 minutes each side (add more onion and bell peppers to the coals if necessary). Remove meat from the grill, cover with foil, and rest meat for 10 minutes. Slice diagonally or in segments depending on thickness for medium rare portion.
Serve with tossed green salad with avocado, cherry tomatoes and thinly sliced red onion with your favorite dressing. Add baked or small roasted red potatoes and white corn on the cob.