Braised Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms & Creamy PolentaFeatured by Topophilia Wine Company in the Pinot Noir Wine Club.
A rustic meal to enjoy with a glass of Pinot Noir from your latest Gold Medal Wine Club Pinot Noir shipment.Yield: 4
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
• 2 lbs (about 4 large or 8 small) chicken thighs, bone in & skin on
• salt and pepper
• ¼ cup flour
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 1 lb (16 oz) mushrooms, thinly sliced (I used a mix of cremini and portobello)
• 3 or 4 sprigs fresh thyme
• ½ cup white wine
• ½ cup chicken stock
• 2 cups chicken stock
• 1 cup water
• 1 cup milk
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 cup coarse yellow cornmeal
• ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Generously season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Coat each piece with flour in a small dish and set aside.
2. Preheat a large cast iron skillet over high heat, melt the butter and add the chicken pieces, skin side down. Brown each piece for 5 minutes on each side and remove to a plate to rest. Add onions and mushrooms to pan and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until the mushrooms give off their liquid, and continue to cook over high heat until liquid is almost completely reduced, about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the wine and chicken stock. Gently press the chicken pieces down into the mushrooms, and add the thyme sprigs. Reduce heat to just shy of medium and let simmer until liquid is reduced and chicken is cooked through, about 20 or 25 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, make the creamy polenta. Heat the stock, water, & milk to a low simmer in a medium saucepan. Generously season with salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the cornmeal making sure there are no lumps. Stir regularly until the polenta is very thick and creamy, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in grated cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
5. Once chicken is cooked through, remove thyme sprigs. Spoon polenta into a bowl and top with mushroom mixture and some reduced liquid. Top with a piece (or two if small) of chicken.
Recipe by Honest Cooking at https://honestcooking.com