BBQ T-Bone Steak with Chimichurri SalsaA featured Wine Club recipe for Hastwell & Lightfoot Vineyards.
An amazingly flavorful T-bone steak topped with chimichurri salsa. Serve it with a side of potatoes and a crisp green salad and you have the perfect meal! Pair it with the Hastwell & Lightfoot 2012 Shiraz.Yield: 4
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
• 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
• 1½ teaspoons dried chilli flakes
• 2 teaspoons sea salt
• 4 small cloves garlic, peeled
• 2 fresh bay leaves
• 3 cups (1 bunch) fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped coarsely
• 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped coarsely
• ¾ cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped coarsely
• ¼ cup fresh oregano leaves, chopped coarsely
• 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped coarsely
• 1/3 cup (80ml) red wine vinegar
• ½ cup (125ml) olive oil
• 4 thick beef T-bone steaks, trimmed (or steak of choice)
In a large mortar and pestle, grind peppercorns, chilli, salt and garlic to a smooth paste. Add the chopped herbs (chopping them beforehand helps the pounding process) and continue to pound to a coarse paste. Stir in the vinegar and olive oil.
Brush steaks lightly with some extra olive oil; season steaks with salt and pepper. Heat a grill pan or barbecue hot plate until very hot. Cook steaks for 4-5 minutes before turning over.
Dollop a large spoonful of Chimichurri Salsa onto the cooked side of the steak while the second side cooks for a further 4-5 minutes, or until cooked as desired.
Transfer steaks to a serving plate; stand for 5 minutes before serving with remaining Chimichurri Salsa.
Serve with boiled new potatoes and a crisp green salad.