Bacon Wrapped PrawnsFeatured by Helwig Winery in the Gold Wine Club.
Bacon and prawns...the best of both worlds and an amazing combination! Serve this with a topping of homemade chutney and a glass of Helwig Winery's 2014 'Sloughhouse' Viognier.Yield: 4
Prep Time: 70 Minutes
Cook Time: 6 Minutes
• 1 bag frozen 16/20 size raw Prawns, peeled and deveined
• 2 lbs Applewood sliced Smoked Bacon (thin sliced)
• 4 Tbsp Vegetable or Canola oil (for sautéing)
• ½ jar Banana Pepper Relish
• 1 jar Sweet Pickled Red Peppers
• 1 cup Mae Ploy sweet Chili sauce
• Juice of 2 Lemons
• ½ medium fresh Pineapple (minced)
• 1 pinch of Salt
• 1 packet of Knox Gelatin
Gently simmer all relish ingredients in a saucepan for 5 minutes on low flame (without the gelatin). Meanwhile sprinkle 1 packet of Knox gelatin over 4 Tbsp of cold water and let it “bloom”.
Remove relish from heat and stir in bloomed gelatin. Pour into bowl and let cool in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. This can also be made 1-2 days ahead. If you like it spicy add 1 tablespoon of Sriracha!
In the meantime thaw prawns and pat dry and then tightly wrap each prawn in one slice of bacon. Right before serving heat canola/vegetable oil in a sauté pan and gently fry prawns about 2-3 minutes on each side, until center of prawn is no longer opaque. Transfer onto paper towels to remove excess oil, then arrange on a platter. Stir up chutney and serve with prawns.